18 May 2020
The nominees for Spiel Des Jahres 2020 have been announced. The prestigious award has been offered for over 40 years, with the Spiel des Jahres focussing on accessible, family-friendly games, and its sibling award Kennerspiel Des Jahres focussing on the expert game of the year – finally, the Kinderspiel looks to award great children's games. The awards are highly sought after, and it's great news for any game creator to receive a nomination or award.
The former two awards will have their winners announced on July 20th, 2020, with the Kinderspiel awarded on June 15th 2020.
For the Spiel des Jahres 2020, the nominations are as follows:
- My City, by Reiner Knizia
- Nova Luna, by Uwe Rosenberg and Conre van Moorsel
- Pictures by Daniela and Christian Stohr.
For the Kennerspiel des Jahres, the nominations were:
- Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale by Jordy Adan,
- The Crew by Thomas Sing
- The Kings Dilemma by Hjalmar Hach and Lorenzo Silva
Again, recommendations followed, which were Paladins of the West Kingdom, Res Arcana, and Underwater Cities.
Finally, for the Kinderspiel des Jahres, the nominations were:
- Hedgehog Roll, aka Speedy Roll, but Urtis Sulinksas
- Foto Fish by Michael Kallauch
- Wir sind die Roboter by Reinhard Staupe and Nurnberger Spielkarten-Verlag
Sometimes we may include links to online retailers, from which we might receive a commission if you make a purchase. Affiliate links do not influence editorial coverage and will only be used when covering relevant products
Usually buy Tabletop Gaming in the shops? Don’t worry, you can get copies of the magazine direct from us, with free UK delivery
If you’ve missed an issue, don’t fret, you can pick up a back issue here.
Get a digital issue, or digital subscription from pocketmags, or through our app, on your Apple device, or Android.