10 June 2020
Epic wargames, smaller scale
Mantic are on a roll, as yesterday we saw the pre-orders open for Giant Robot Hellboy, an amazing collaboration based on a sketch by the original designer and made into reality, and now we also have Kings of War: Vanguard 2-Player Starter Set to enjoy.
Vanguard lets you explore the world through the eyes of an elite Warband. You’ll operate alone, and in the greatest of danger, doing a range of things, allowing you to build their stories. It recreates cinematic and brutal skirmishes, all in the same universe of Kings of War, another popular wargame by Mantic. In comparison though, Vanguard is much smaller (no need for 100s of miniatures for this one!) and you’ll probably need maybe a dozen to play.
Mantic say they’ve been listening (but not at your window) to what you’ve been asking, and many have requested or wanted a Vanguard starter set to help ease into the game. Those prayers have been answered, as there really does seem to be everything included within the box.
What you'll find inside the box is as follows;
- 2 player Set booklet
- Resin Basilean Dictator
- Resin Nightstalker Banshee
- Multi-part PVC Plastic Paladin Defenders/Chaplain
- Multi-part PVC Plastic Men-at-Arms Sergeants/Veteran Sergeant
- Multi-part PVC Plastic Sisterhood
- Multi-part PVC Plastic Sisterhood Scout
- Multi-part PVC Plastic Gur Panther
- Multi-part PVC Plastic Butcher
- Multi-part PVC Plastic Horror
- Multi-part PVC Plastic Reaper
- Multi-part PVC Plastic Phantom
- Multi-part PVC Plastic Shadowhound
- 5 Multi-part Hard Plastic Scarecrows/Spectres
- 5 Multi-part Hard Plastic Men-at-Arms/Crossbowmen
- Cardboard Counter Sheet
- 16 Power Dice
- 8 D8 dice
- Mantic Tape Measure
- Hardback Vanguard Rulebook
The starter set is available to pre-order from Mantic now, and it’ll set you back £74.99, which isn’t unreasonable given how much it includes, and as a gateway into a popular game. However, if you purchase online you’ll also receive the digital Ice and Iron Supplement for free, making it an even more tempting offer.
Pre-orders will ship from June 15th 2020, so you’ve not long to wait if you want to dive into things.
Usually buy Tabletop Gaming in the shops? Don’t worry, you can get copies of the magazine direct from us, with free UK delivery
If you’ve missed an issue, don’t fret, you can pick up a back issue here.
Get a digital issue, or digital subscription from pocketmags, or through our app, on your Apple device, or Android.